Monday, July 11, 2011

a doctor, a breast, and a scarf walk into a bar...

So, it's been a minute since my last blog. This whole hair thing has some surprises. First off, we carry a lot, I mean, a lot of hair on our heads. Second, it stops growing evenly which is great for those that want to keep up the look for as long as possible. Falling out in chunks, so as to create bald spots isn’t pretty. Also, if you don't wash it and you keep a hat on it lasts a bit longer. I found a cool summer hat and a few web sites that I'll soon purchase chemo-specific head wear from. But every time I shower or sleep I'm shedding my winter frock. I mean it's everywhere. And hair tickles, it picks at the skin like little bugs.

All my hair has stopped growing. But not all of it is coming out yet. This I've also found to be beneficial. I'll keep my eyebrows, lashes, arm hair, and the other stuff for a bit longer... maybe even through the whole treatment. (I have another Thursday).

Okay, so I went to the surgeons today for a consultation. After a few questions reviewing my previous treatments, allergies, and surgeries we talked about removing my right breast, which has been recommended a number of times and seems to be the next line of treatment. Interestingly, I couldn't help but hear that Dr. said there is no hard evidence that links breast removal with a longer life span.

I got two things out of that. One: I have a choice in making this decision. Two: I need to do much more research.

I'm not really attached to these lumps under my chin. If they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't notice for a day or two I'm sure. However, this kind of surgery is not to be taken lightly. I'll be much weaker since it's scheduled to happen days after I'm finished with my last chemo. Suggested recovery time is close to a month which will inhibit exercise. Oh, and that's where my tattoo is. <----- very important.

3 comments:

  1. Nichole, I didn't want to post this here, I'd rather talk to you, but in case anyone else is reading who might also be concerned:

    My Aunt Lori, an MD and research oncologist, who knows more than anyone I've ever talked to about cancer, said that removal of the breast (and lump) is only important if that is the only location of the cancer. IOW, if they catch it early. At this point, as you know, they are trying to shrink it in the other locations. If it gets back to the point where it is mostly in the breast, then, yes, maybe it will be a more manageable size for removal. Anyway, I could have some of this wrong, but the point is the same, it might be an option to put off.

    But what do I know? I'm not a doctor. Just another bit of research for ya. Please feel free to call or email my Aunt Lori, she is brilliant and direct, and I know you like that.

    love, love, love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nichole, You can reach my sister Lori Styles (Michele's Aunt) at 510-444-4288 home or 510-325-4823 cell. Her email is lstyles@mail.cho.org. Hope this helps.

    Love Uncle Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nichole, thanks so much for sending me the link to your blog - sitting here in Colorado we sort of feel like there is so little we can do! My sister-in-law was about your age when she was fighting breast cancer. Her doctor told her something similar and she chose not to have a masectomy - it scared me... she is turning 49 in a couple of weeks - with both boobs! Leah-Kim

    ReplyDelete