Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chemotherapy 1

I had my first Chemotherapy treatment 8 days ago.  I will have six sessions each three weeks apart.  They have inserted an arm-port in my left lower inside bicep to protect my veins from continuous prodding.  (Thanks Dr "gang".)  I guess the arm is an unusual place because I keep hearing from the nurses, "oh, that's an unusual place, haven't seen it there before".  Well, that's me, paving the way.

The needle they use to penetrate the place next to the stitching in the photo is as dense as a large paper clip.  I'm not kidding.  But really it looked a lot scarier than it felt, and that's the only reason I hit the nurse.  Anyone coming at my new wound bes' be careful.  Once inserted, they just empty bag loads of liquid drugs and saline for about 3 to 4 hours into my body.

The next day I was pretty darn near perfect.  The second and third days were rough.  Fitigue, pain in my bones (specifically my back and legs), in my muscles pushed me to medicate.
So I just passed out for two days with Vicodin. :)

Since then, I'm tired, ache, foggy, and get headaches, but really I feel good.  I'm not sick to my stomach due to medication.  All my previous incisions are about healed.  Basically, I look and act and feel like you.  I mean me.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my golly, we're all so lucky. You're such a great writer! It's incredible, this subject matter, and I'm smiling. Thanks Nichole, please, keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me smile :)! Your arm really does look painful... caaan I poke it :) p.s. I love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. I really appreciate your detail and the photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are darn near perfect. Since we're all enjoying your perspective and writing, do you have an off-topic piece of writing that you could share with us? Not that I'm not appreciating what's probably forefront on your unique brain currently, but I haven't seen you in 8 years, and I have some adoration to catch up on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is great nichole. thanks for the giggle. remember when writing, invincible/invisible=two different words. :)

    p.s. the word verification thingy is asking me to type "amploomp". i think you should name your first born child this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I am old friends with Darcey Lafo. I had bc last year. I never heard of an arm port. Seems better than a chest one. I didn't get a port at all so my veins hate me! It's like being a pincushion so you are probably better off. I shaved my head the second my hair started shedding. Being bald felt great, esp in the rain or shower. A friend sent me a hand painted scarf I wore all summer. Better than wigs. I had a pink wig & a blue wig I loved. I blogged too. Helped focus my thoughts. I'm turning it into a play. I did A/C/T after a single mastectomy. Are you doing Taxol now? I assume since you mentioned long treatments & bone pain. I'm familiar with that. If you ever wanna talk or email let me know. I've gone through it. I'm vegan too! All the best. Get lots of sleep and water if you can & pamper yourself (or let others pamper you!)
    All the best,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete