Wednesday, June 29, 2011

FOODIE

As you probably know, I've worked in the food industry for 14 years.  Although, I haven't done much more than toss a salad or two, ladle out precooked soup, or dress a pizza I've worked with some amazing chiefs.  Here in Boise, Christine Reed, previous owner of Pair and current owner of Locavore, has credulously plated my pallet with tastes from hand-crafted coconut curry prawns in sweet siriraha sauce to not your mom's meatloaf.  This time Christine had here work cut out for her. 

To screne my system with the best defense and offense we found the following foods outlawed: caffeine, alcohol, yeast, mushrooms, sugar, salt (other than sea salt), meats, soy, dairy (other than goat), and you know those processed things that are foodish.  I've lost 3lbs this week.  But I'm not starving.  I'm just, for the first time in my life, eating right, really really right.

I've been a vegi for over ten years and it's only with this diet that I want the largest meatiest reddest hamburger ever.  I'd even settle for one of my homemade delicious tofu burgers, oh gosh, and a beer.  But I wait a sec and that desire passes, I think heck I could be adding another year.  And shoot, I'll look good in a swim suit (bald, but good).

Studies show that eating soy can prevent cancer.  It mimics estrogen in the body.  However, after being diagnosed with breast cancer I didn't want to influence my estrogen levels at all.  For some of the other foods, many of the enzymes that help fight breast cancer also work to break down certain foods like meat, dairy, sugars.  I want my body to concentrate on breaking down the cancer not the food.  If I substitute nutrition that will only fight or not prevent the fighting of the cancer, I'm likely to live longer. I.e. cancer hates raw carrots, asparagus, almonds, kidney beans lentils... Also the breast cancer is in the fattest part of my breast, I want to limit that fat, make it "taste" real bad.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I really am going to want your recipe book. We all should have it. I actually was just at the co-op and picked up something disgusting for dessert tonight. I think you and I are going to love it: garlic sesame brown rice mochi pastries--no sugar, salt, nothing...mmmm

    ReplyDelete